Secret Witness Tipsters remain completely anonymous. Reward amounts may be increased depending on the severity of the crime, the number of victims or level of violence. Rewards are increased for crimes against the elderly or law enforcement. Secret Witness is responsible only for reward amount set by its organization. Contributions to hike the reward amount are discouraged. However, we will administer payment of others’ rewards if requested. With few exceptions rewards are paid only to witnesses who have called the Secret Witness line first. Rewards are paid only to witnesses with a bonafide ID number matching that on the follow up report from law enforcement. At present these are our guidelines.
- Any person who directly contacts Secret Witness and provides information which leads to the arrest and indictment (or equivalent) of an adult or juvenile, or the arrest of a fugitive wanted in a felony case will be eligible for a reward.
- Secret Witness offers rewards for all crimes.
- To qualify for a reward an anonymous citizen has to call one of the Secret Witness hotlines: (775) 322-4900 General Information line, the School line at (775) 329-6666 or 2-0-2 from any SBC payphone and provide information relating to a crime.
- The (775) 322-4900 hotline is staffed 24 hours a day, seven (7) days a week.
- When the caller provides Secret Witness with information about a crime or fugitive they receive a code number for identification purposes.
- If the information leads to a solution of a crime and subsequent indictment the caller is eligible for a reward.
- The reward is paid in cash and is delivered to the caller at a time and place only known to Secret Witness. This procedure helps preserve the anonymity of the caller.
- Rewards are set with a priorities given to crimes of violence or potential violence and are generally in the following amounts. Arson, burglary and graffiti/tagging rewards may increase depending on amount of theft or damage.
|TYPE OF CRIME||Typical Reward Amount|
|Armed Robbery (Gun or Weapon)||$1,500|
|Armed Robbery (No Gun)||$1,000|
|Arson||$1,000 – $2,000|
|Burglary||$250 – $1,000|
|Narcotics||$100 – $1,000|
- The reward may be increased by the action of the Board if the informant testifies in court.
- Reward monies are obtained from reward sponsors made up of various businesses and professionals in the business community who pledge specific amounts and are billed for their proportional amount of the annual expense.
- Because of the number and generosity of the sponsors the proportional amount billed to each sponsor annually averages between $200 to $400 per year.
- Sponsors are billed only when Secret Witness has been successful in solving a crime.